Director of the Wesley Foundation at the University of Wyoming
July 05, 2022
Wesley Foundation Mission Statement
General Description of Responsibilities
Our mission is to provide young adults in Laramie a place to belong in community, to grow in faith, to encounter the Holy in worship, and to serve others in the name of Jesus Christ.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- The Wesley Director is a 25-30 hour per week position. (Negotiable)
- As the spiritual and organizational leader of the Wesley Foundation, the Director serves a diverse student population attending three separate college campuses in Laramie, Wyoming – The University of Wyoming (UW), WyoTech, and Laramie County Community College/Albany County Campus (LCCC).
- With support of the Wesley Foundation Board of Directors, the Director is responsible for planning and implementing student activities that promote the Wesley mission.
- *Additional duties related to First United Methodist Church (FUMC) may be negotiated with the Pastor, and Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC), and the Wesley Board. Responsibilities would not exceed an additional 5 hours/week.
Wesley Foundation Related
- Maintain regular presence on campuses, seeking to engage students, create awareness of Wesley Foundation, and provide spiritual support as needed.
- Attend Sunday worship services at Laramie UMC. Congregational worship provides opportunities to meet new students and connect with current Wesley students, while facilitating relationships with our larger church family.
- Plan and organize variety of activities to nurture and engage students in faith and in their spiritual journey. Activities may include fellowship, worship, and discipleship groups and activities, book and Bible studies, as well as mission and service opportunities.
- Encourage and develop student leadership. Mentor the student leadership team in setting the vision and guiding the weekly ministry with students.
- Serve as a mentor and counselor for students as they grow in faith.
Local Church Related
- Ensure that the Wesley Foundation maintains status as a Student Organization at UW, maintain and expand institutional relationships with Wyo Tech, and LCCC.
- Attend meetings of the Wesley Foundation Board, report on activities and coordinate planning between student organization and the board.
- Develop annual programs and goals for Wesley; develop and implement annual budget, both in cooperation with the board.
- Participate in annual evaluations in cooperation with the board to identify strengths, opportunities, mission fulfillment, and make recommendations for improvements.
- Fundraising is an important part of the position. UW is the only public four=year college in the state. Through the Wyoming District of the Mountain Sky Conference the director will reach out, online and in person, to all the UMCs in the Wyoming District to share our work and pursue donations and support.
- Social Media is also an important aspect of ministry and the director should be familiar with a variety of social media sites that students may use.
Regional/District Church Related
- Additional duties negotiated with FUMC’s Pastor and SPRC (Staff Parish Relationship Committee, in areas of ministry with the church that the candidate has needed skills such as: assisting in worship on Sundays, filling in for the Pastor as needed.
- Director’s duties will include coordinating student volunteers to assist with projects and events in the church as well as recruiting volunteers within the church to assist with Wesley events and activities.
- Participate in and advocate for Conference Board of Higher Education and general church activities focused on college ministries.
- Promote awareness of the Wesley Foundation by connecting with United Methodist Churches in the conference and district through personal contact, speaking engagements and other communication.
- Develop relationships with prospective students and their families who may attend Laramie campuses.
- Encourage cooperation with other Wesley programs and other conference supported ministries.
- Encourage and develop financial and other support from regional organizations.
- Salary and benefits will be dependent upon level of education and experience, as well as the number of hours negotiated.
Please take the opportunity to introduce yourself by submitting a complete resume and cover letter. We are interested in your experience, skills, aptitudes and interests as well as why you think you are called to student ministry in Laramie, Wyoming. Please send your information to: email@example.com
Contact: Rev. Debra Juarez
Email: Click to email