Christian Education Coordinator
July 08, 2022
Christian Education Coordinator Position Description - Updated June 2022
Reports to: Minister of Discipleship
Hours: The position is a non-exempt, salaried position, 25 hours a week. More hours required around major events and holidays (Christmas and Easter).
Salary: The position is budgeted for $23 - $30 per hour
Purpose: To provide leadership in sustaining the church’s programs for children and young families with intention toward developing disciples who care for selves, others, and the world through an integrated program with a variety of offerings.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet current and new families through personal interaction, database management, care, and outreach, creating connections with the church.
- Plan Sunday School class sessions and coordinate Sunday School teachers. Organizing needed supplies for classes.
- Monitor Children’s Sunday School attendance, data, and trends.
- Integrate children into worship in connection with the Worship Planning Team.
- A love for children and youth, and a passion for creative imaginative, and age-appropriate Christian formation.
- Experience taking the lead in managing groups of children, parents, and volunteers, setting expectations, and handling disruptions common with working with children.
- A familiarity with progressive Christian children’s curricula, the Bible, and United Methodism.
- A passion for supporting volunteers, including a demonstrated ability to recruit and support them.
- Evidence of clear communication skills.
- Willingness to work with others, be a team player, and participate in the staff of AUMC.
- Have an affinity with the progressive social and theological identity of AUMC.
- Volunteer Management:
- Recruit and coordinate teachers and youth volunteers for children’s program leadership roles as needed.
- Follow AUMC risk management requirements as they pertain to volunteers, including ensuring that each volunteer is trained and abides by AUMC’s Safe Sanctuary policy.
- Work with pastors to maintain fingerprint records, background checks, and Safe Sanctuary training for all Children’s Ministry volunteers.
*Additional programs may be requested as determined by AUMC pastors and/or Children’s Council.
- Coordination of on-going annual programs throughout the year*:
- Bible Beginnings event for 3rd graders in the fall (children receive their Bibles from the church).
- Involving children in Advent/Christmas, and Lent/Easter activities in coordination with the Director of Music and Worship Arts.
- Family gatherings / all-church gatherings for fellowship and formation.
- Working with other AUMC ministry teams in involving children and families in mission, outreach, and learning events throughout the year.
- Administrative Responsibilities:
- Meet and coordinate regularly with supervisor.
- Attend Program Ministry Team and regular staff meetings.
- Communicate weekly to children’s families about program and current events.
- Work with pastors to implement age-appropriate curriculum for all programs.
- Keep Education Room and all education spaces properly supplied and organized, supporting teachers in supplying classrooms as needed.
- Work closely with Kids’ Discovery Days directors and staff re. shared programming and space.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested.
- Physical Expectations: Good manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, and the ability to use hands in quick, repetitive motion. Computer work requires extended periods of time in a seated position. Light physical activity, including occasional bending, squatting, standing, walking, and lifting lightweight materials up to 35 lbs. is required. Have the ability to independently travel to destinations.
Contact: Robin Kupernik
6750 Carr St Arvada CO 80004
Email: Click to email