Piano Accompanist-Heritage UMC-Littleton, CO
January 31, 2023
HERITAGE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
7077 S. Simms Street
Littleton, CO 80127
I POSITION SUMMARY
The Accompanist will play at all worship services and will rehearse weekly with the Chancel Choir, and with soloists and special groups, as needed.
II PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Play piano for 9:30 (or as scheduled) Sunday morning worship service. In addition, the Accompanist will play for specialized worship services throughout the year (Holy Week, Christmas Eve, etc.).
- Rehearse weekly with the Chancel Choir. Once during a weekday evening (or other mutually agreed upon time) for 1 1/2 hour and on Sunday morning before worship begins (typically 45 minutes before the start of the worship service).
- Selection of appropriate music for prelude, postlude, offering, communion, etc.
- Rehearse with other groups or soloists, when necessary, for special Sunday music, or for other church programming. This will be coordinated with the Director of Music and/or the Pastor.
- Notify the Director of Music and/or Pastor if the pianos need tuning or special repair.
- If the Accompanist is going to be absent for Sunday Service, notification must be made at least two weeks in advance so that arrangements can be made for a substitute.
III ADDITIONAL DUTIES
A. The Accompanist may be asked to play for weddings, funerals and memorial services scheduled at Heritage UMC. (Additional payments are made directly to Accompanist by those involved.) The Pastor and Accompanist may allow someone other than Heritage’s Accompanist to play for any of the above services.
- Attendance at all Staff and/or Worship Committee meetings is desired.
- Coordinate with the Director of Music and Pastor to provide suitable music for worship services and other programs.
IV EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- A degree in music or an associate field is preferred, plus considerable experience with accompanying during worship services in a variety of music styles from traditional hymns and choral pieces to more contemporary Christian songs.
- Ability to sight-read music.
- Continuing education is encouraged. Financial assistance may be available as funds permit with approval of the Pastor.
A. Responsible to the Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee and works closely with the Director of Music.
- Staff Parish Relations Committee will review performance of this position on an annual basis.
A. Compensation for this staff position shall be an amount recommended by the Staff Parish Relations Committee, with final approval made by the Church Council.
- Staff positions and salaries will be reviewed on an annual basis.
A. 4 Sundays and mid-week rehearsals per calendar year.
- Arrangements are to be made with the Director of Music and Pastor.
VIII CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
A. The Accompanist is employed at will by Heritage United Methodist Church for such period as the working relationship is mutually agreeable to Heritage and the Accompanist.
IX PROBATIONARY PERIOD
A. Will be a period of three (3) months. At the end of this period, a performance evaluation will be made by the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
X TERMINATION POLICY
A. Two (2) weeks written notice will be required if the Accompanist wishes to leave this position. Two weeks written notice will also be given by the Staff Parish Relations Committee if this position is terminated.
Contact: Pastor Kirsten Barlow
7077 S Simms St Littleton 80127
Email: Click to email