May 25, 2023
Mountain Sky Conference of The United Methodist Church
Living in God’s grace and abundance as we lead a re-energized peaceful and compassionate
movement to claim the life-changing love of Jesus Christ for ALL people
Job Title: Administrative Assistant to Leadership Development and Community Engagement
Reports to: Superintendent of Nurturing Leadership and Belonging; Chair of the Board of Ordained Ministry
Department: Leadership Development & Community Engagement
Classification: Part-time (20 hours per week), Non-exempt
Date: June 2023
This position provides support to the Board of Ordained Ministry in maintaining records and communicating with candidates throughout the process of ordination. This position offers support for laity ministries in coordinating communication lists, updating web pages, formatting class descriptions, and general support as needed. In addition, this position offers administrative support to the areas of Leadership Development and Community Engagement.
- Provide excellent customer service to all internal and external constituents.
- Respond to routine correspondence and referrals of special needs in a timely manner.
As Administrative Assistant to the Board of Lay Ministries:
- Provide meeting support for the Board of Ordained Ministry and the Board of Laity Ministry.
- Ability to manage records in a database for the ordination process.
- Prepare and organize information as needed to support laity programs.
- Provide administrative support for the area of Leadership Development and Community Engagement
- Perform tasks with a high degree of discretion and confidentiality.
As Administrative Assistant to the Board of Ordained Ministry:
- Assist the Conference Co-Lay Leaders with scheduling, communicating with District Lay Leaders, and reporting to the conference the MSC Board of Lay Ministries quarterly meetings.
- Assist the Conference Co-Lay Leaders with securing and maintaining adequate laity representation on conference and district committees and round tables by helping to discover positions and communicating with the district and church leadership to find laity to fill positions.
- Update and utilize the Mission Connect database to build and maintain a directory of local church Lay Leaders, District and/or Circuit Lay Leaders, and (perhaps separately) to coordinate with Lay Servant Ministries Directors, particularly the Conference Lay Servant Ministries Director, to keep an updated directory of all of the conference’s current Certified Lay Servants, Certified Lay Speakers (pulpit supply), and Certified Lay Ministers.
- Utilize the UMC resources on GBHEM to connect interested lay members and to find scholarships, online educational opportunities, and more.
- Provide administrative support for the following:
- Building a Cohort on the Mountain Sky Ministry Crossroads
- Keeping MSC Calendar up to date for Lay Servant Ministry Courses or other leadership opportunities for Laity.
- Creating communication campaigns to promote and provide articles and information on Lay Ministries, including CLM and Lay Servant Ministry options (both on social media and through email/mail).
- In-Person Meetings of the Board of Lay Ministry.
- Creating and maintaining the Laity webpage and information, to include information on the Conference Co-Lay Leaders, BOLM, and Lay Servant Ministries.
- Updating all Lay Leader and Lay Servant Ministries-related Certification and Charge Conference reporting forms on the MSC website.
- Managing and updating shared documents (including the information on the Certified Lay Speaker Course of Study Requirements, and processes for other laity related programs).
- Supporting the Co-Lay Leaders with communications and other projects.
- Adhere to a supervisory relationship with the Superintendent of Leadership Development.
As Administrative Assistant to Leadership and Community Engagement:
- Assist Registrars (at both DCOM and BOM levels) to track candidate progress through the ordination process from declared status onward.
- Coordinate psychological evaluation process and paperwork, receiving completed assessments, forwarding them to the appropriate clinician, tracking clinician progress and payment by candidate. When complete, distribute to the appropriate DCOM or BOM Chair & Registrar.
- Administer background checks and ensure information is distributed to the appropriate DCOM or BOM Chair & Registrar.
- Manage candidate, mentor and District Superintendent access to UMCares.
- Interface with UMCares personnel, serving as the primary contact to UMCares from the Annual Conference.
- Serve as the primary interface between Annual Conference staff and the Board of Ordained Ministry.
- Provide administrative support for the following:
- Tracking clergy seeking transfer into the Mountain Sky Conference.
- Compiling and Completing the BAC for Clergy Session.
- Local Pastor Licensing School.
- In-Person Meetings of the Board.
- Maintaining the BOM webpage and information.
- Updating all BOM-related clergy and candidacy forms on the MSC website.
- Managing and updating shared documents (including the Candidacy Process Checklist, the DCOM/BOM Handbook, the Candidacy/Clergy Mentor Handbook).
- Supporting the BOM Chair with communications and other projects.
- Adhere to a supervisory relationship with the Chair of the Board of Ordained Ministry.
- Provide daily administrative support for the area of Leadership Development and Community Engagement:
- Record keeping and digital filing.
- Answering phone/emails and relaying messages.
- Handle incoming correspondence as needed.
- Make travel and meeting arrangements.
- Manage contacts, invoices, and grants.
- Maintain files and information concerning relevant boards, commissions and teams.
- Communicate with laity and clergy as needed.
- Work with Leadership Development and Community Engagement staff to coordinate and plan events and programs; travel throughout the conference as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency with current digital tools for the office environment, especially:
- MS Office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint
- Video conferencing, such as ZOOM.
- Database experience
- Basecamp, Dropbox and other online file storage/sharing tools.
- Ability and willingness to learn new software and related skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to compose correspondence and reports, take minutes, proofread written documents, answer the phone, organize and respond to mail and phone calls on a timely basis.
- Pleasant and professional manner while working in diverse forms of service and interacting with diverse constituencies.
- Organized, efficient, and resourceful.
- Knowledge of the United Methodist Church structure and processes strongly preferred.
- Recognized Christian character, leadership ability, personal competence and commitment to the Church’s ministry.
- Sensitive to and respectful of personal situations and information, and ability to honor confidentiality and use discretion in performing tasks.
- Education or Formal Training:
- Two-year degree required; bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years of related professional experience.
Home-office working environment with a Conference office hub to use as needed for meetings and small gatherings. This work is primarily online with a heavy emphasis on Zoom meetings.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required; it would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Mountain Sky Conference values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Mountain Sky Conference is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any projected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Apply Here: https://mtnsky-reg.brtapp.com/JobApplication