March 23, 2018
University Park United Methodist Church, under the leadership of Dr. Valerie L. Jackson, is seeking a full time administrative assistant. This position provides administrative assistance primarily to our senior pastor and to other senior staff persons as needed.
Basic qualifications include: proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and Publisher; minimum typing 50 wpm; organizational, planning and multi-tasking skills; detail-oriented; oral and written communication skills; knowledge of basic computer maintenance routines; proficiency in customer service and more. This position requires 40 work hours per week, Sunday thru Thursday. The salary range is $30,000 - $45,000 and is negotiable depending on educational level and experience.
A full job description is available upon request.
– This position will provide support to various staff members of University Park UMC, with primary responsibility to the Senior Pastor. As the only full-time support to staff, this position will make decisions (based on established policy or guidelines) so that the ordained staff is relieved of repetitive details of operating a business office.
– The Administrative Assistant reports directly to the Senior Pastor, and priority is given to her/his work. As needed and as time permits support may be provided to other senior staff positions. Requests from individuals or committees may be honored with the Senior Pastor’s approval, and only when before-mentioned priorities are satisfied. An annual performance review will be conducted by the Senior Pastor; comments reported by the Staff/Parish Relations Committee may be included in the evaluation.
– A normal work week of 40 hours consists of Sundays – Thursdays with a 1-hour, unpaid lunch break. Actual office hours will be discussed at the time of offer. Hours may be adjusted, when needed, with the approval of the Senior Pastor. The Administrative Assistant is expected to attend, record minutes and participate in all regular and special staff meetings as scheduled.
– The following are the minimum requirements for this position:
- A college degree preferred; high school diploma or equivalent required
- A minimum of two years’ office experience
- The ability to type 55 wpm
- Proficiency in computers, including, Microsoft Office 365, including Microsoft Office 365, SharePoint, Excel, Publisher, social media, website editing, and basic computer maintenance routines (disk clean-up, defrag, etc.)
- The ability to multitask, meet deadlines, delegate work and manage administrative volunteers
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to remain calm and professional in stressful situations
High emotional intelligence and excellent social skills are required to discern and address inquiries made by members, visitors, and those doing business with the church. The Administrative Assistant must hold to the highest ethics, protecting confidential information and remaining neutral in highly charged situations. The ability to adapt to changing priorities and workload is essential. The ability to organize a wide range of duties and meet deadlines is necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– The following is a summary of the Administrative Assistant’s assigned duties:
- Prepare general correspondence as needed for the Senior Pastor and other staff. Compose correspondence responding to routine inquiries and maintain files of all correspondence, providing easy access.
- Prepare weekly pew pads for attendance; and weekly worship service bulletins and PowerPoints using information provided by staff and volunteers.
- Set up for Sunday and special services; and coordinating weekly altar flowers and seasonal flowers such as lilies, poinsettias, palms and ashes.
- Prepare weekly e-newsletter, monthly Newsletter
- Prepare funeral/memorial service bulletins as needed.
- Set up and coordinate new members classes and receptions.
- Compiling and entering EZRA Statistics.
- Maintain data base for church membership & visitors [Church Windows] as well as updating and distributing membership directories.
- Facilitating communications by updating daily signage; and website and social media outlets with weekly announcements, etc.
- Prepare master documents, make copies, and collate material for special projects such as the annual Finance Campaign, church directory, the SOP, charge conference, annual meeting, and others.
- Maintain an inventory and order office supplies as needed, working within the budget framework for all administrative supplies.
- Maintain a small petty cash fund, as well as a checking account for immediate purchases. Report all expenses to the Bookkeeper on a regular basis.
- Code all routine invoices for utility payments, worship supplies, routine building maintenance, etc., and submit to the Bookkeeper for payment. Invoices that are exceptional or unusual should be coded by voucher and approved by the Senior Pastor/Trustees.
- Prepare outgoing mail using the postage meter. Sort incoming mail into the correct mail box in the Work Room. Order additional postage to maintain an adequate supply of postage at all times. Order postage meter replacement parts as needed; e.g., ink cartridges, postage tape sheets).
- Answer the telephones and screen calls during the times the reception desk is not staffed. Relay voice mail messages appropriately when decisions are not within the scope of this position. Serve as receptionist, responding to inquiries, in the absence of volunteer receptionists.
- Recruit and train volunteers for the reception desk and schedule their hours. Use volunteers to complete routine and special projects. Use sound management principles and teach patiently, as needed.
- Maintain the church master calendar in Google Calendar, including scheduling use of various rooms in the building.
- Supervise the contract maintenance worker, making him/her aware of special set-ups required for functions within the church. Respond to requests for urgent repairs by notifying the custodian at once. Meet with the custodian every morning to discuss the day’s needs.
- Maintain files in support of church business, to include financial reports, committee meeting minutes, rental contracts, equipment and warranty information.
- Act as the Columbarium secretary, maintaining lists of niche owners, ordering brass marker plates as needed, and sending information and contracts to interested buyers.
- Maintain church archives in the Vault, keeping files and cabinets labeled and organized. Maintain archives in the Vault of minutes, bulletins, newsletters, etc., over three years old.
- Other duties as required, requested and needed as our ministries and methodologies evolve and change.
: $30,000 – $45,000
– As a full-time position, benefits are outlined in the Personnel Policy of Lay Employees of UPUMC. Be aware that while the church does offer vacation and compensatory time, the church cannot offer life insurance, major medical insurance, or short- or long-term disability at this time
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org,
Attn: Admin Asst.
Submission deadline - 5:00 p.m., April 5, 2018