May 21, 2018
The Upper New York Conference of The United Methodist Church is currently seeking a Chief Financial Officer/Conference Treasurer. This role is responsible for budget coordination, cash and investment management, central treasury operations, financial reporting and accounting management of all conference assets, supervision and leadership of finance staff, participation in strategic planning, program development and the administrative functions of the annual conference in support of all ministry and mission areas, including property and office support.
- Perform the duties of Chief Financial Officer/Conference Treasurer.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Staff Team and Bishop’s Extended Cabinet participating in policy and program development for leadership development, congregational vitality and stewardship education.
- Provide teaching and training to small and large groups in the areas of financial management and stewardship development.
- Serve as the corporate officer of the corporation as so nominated by the Conference Council on Finance and Administration and elected by the annual conference.
- Serve as primary staff person with Conference Board of Trustees and work with them to implement procedures to fulfill their duties, specifically around property, insurance and investment issues.
- Serve as primary staff person to Conference Council on Finance and Administration to develop, administer and monitor annual budget, develop appropriate financial reports and controls, calculate ministry shares (apportionments) and provide education to congregations regarding the role of ministry shares.
- Serve as secondary staff person to other assigned administrative teams, boards, committees, and agencies of the conference.
- Advise the resident Bishop, Executive Staff and Bishop’s Cabinet on financial matters.
- Build and align financial, administrative, and asset planning and management processes in the Upper New York Annual Conference to ensure adequate support and growth of the entire system.
- Manage receipts and disbursements of conference and General Church funds.
- Administer and monitor the development of the annual conference budget, in consultation with the Conference Council on Finance and Administration.
- Manage the cash of the conference including short-term investments, certificates of deposit, borrowings, and all banking relationships.
- Manage special financial campaigns.
- Maintain liaison with General Council on Finance & Administration
- Supervise and evaluate finance staff, including managing staff, coordinating the finance department, directing staff, and relating to staff.
- Facilitate, in consultation with the Conference human resources ministry area, the process of recruiting, hiring, supervising, and evaluating conference finance staff by using conference policies and procedures.
- Manage the collection and review of statistical information from local churches, in consultation with the conference statistician.
- Provide information and training and respond to questions by pastors, local church leaders, etc. relating to church and clergy tax issues, finances, budgeting, internal control, required forms, legal requirements and issues, property issues, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- CPA preferred
- MBA, MPA, CPA or equivalent with 501(c)(3) not-for-profit religious groups experience preferred,
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in accounting or related field required
- Management experience in supervising diverse professional staff required
- Comprehensive knowledge of non-profit governance, management, accounting, financial planning and business processes
- Knowledge of administration and personnel management and all aspects of financial functions
- Knowledge of the structure and polity of The United Methodist Church preferred
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Great Plains, MIP, Outlook
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to vision; motivate and inspire persons for ministry and mission
- Knowledge of systems development and ability to build teams
- Willingness and ability to support the vision, mission and critical issues and core values of the annual conference
- Ability to work with teams to implement the work of the annual conference
- Deep sensitivity and commitment to diversity (culture, race, ethnicity, gender, theology, etc.)
- Ability and commitment to work some weekend and evening hours
- Willingness to travel extensively, both within and without the area of the Upper New York Conference
- Willingness to work within and be respectful of our Christ-centered organization
- Willingness to participate in General Church and Jurisdictional events and training
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Closing Date: June 8, 2018
No Staffing Agencies or Recruitment Firms
- Organization: Upper New York Annual Conference
- Contact: Emily Chiles
- Phone: 6153692357
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing Date: 06/08/18