CHILDREN and YOUTH DIRECTOR
APPLEWOOD VALLEY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
2035 Ellis Street, Golden CO 80401, 303-279-2162, www.applewoodvalleychurch.org
The Children and Youth Director will be responsible for coordinating the Children’s Sunday School program, the Vacation Bible School program, and the Youth Ministry program at AVUMC. The Children and Youth Director will lead the Children’s Time in worship on Sunday mornings, and will coordinate the Nursery. The Director works to create a supportive and engaging program for children and youth that connect them to, and grows their understanding of, the love of Christ for all people through discipleship, service, fellowship and outreach into the community. The Children and Youth Director will recruit and coordinate all adult volunteers working with the children and youth. The Director will work closely with clergy and worship service staff.
The Children and Youth Director will seek to grow the youth group in numbers and faith. The Children and Youth Director will be sure the youth program has a good balance of discipleship, service, and fellowship.
Organize programs and activities designed to foster and deepen youth as disciples of Jesus Christ. This will include:
o Youth Group/Fellowship:
Provide weekly opportunities for youth to gather for fellowship, discipleship, and service
Special Bible studies and other teaching needs
Help youth plan, coordinate, and lead annual Youth Sunday worship service
Organize, plan, and offer various service and mission opportunities for the youth group on a consistent basis. This may include:
o Mission Trips:
Plan, organize, and lead annual mission trip opportunities for both middle and senior high youth. They will also coordinate adult volunteers and transportation for the summer mission trip.
o Other Opportunities:
Plan, organize, and lead regular service opportunities for both middle and senior high youth
o Easter Egg Hunt:
Organize and help youth with the annual Easter Egg Hunt
o Nursery Workers:
Encourage volunteers to be nursery workers for Sunday mornings and other special events
Organize and provide opportunities for youth to fellowship with one another and grow as a group as they mature socially. This may include:
o Participation in various Mountain Sky Conference and Western Jurisdiction of the UMC events, retreats, and other gatherings
o Various fun activities such as movie night, lock-ins, etc.
Organize programs and activities designed to foster and deepen children as disciples of Jesus Christ. This will include:
Sunday School Classes, special Bible Studies, Vacation Bible School, and other teaching needs;
o Sunday School:
Establish and run Sunday School programming for children, including the purchasing of curriculum, planning educational programs, promoting awareness of Sunday School Classes, recruiting teachers, organizing training opportunities (for months of September through May). The Children and Youth Director will select and distribute the curriculum for the adult volunteers that they are to use with the children, and will train the volunteers in the curriculum and in classroom management.
Help plan, coordinate, and lead ongoing presence of Children in worship
§ Children’s Time:
In coordination with clergy and worship team, plan weekly Children’s Time in worship. Can be taught by Director or by other trained individuals as chosen by Director
o Vacation Bible School:
Coordinate, plan, and lead the Vacation Bible School program. Recruit and equip adult volunteers for VBS and involve youth group participation in the program as leaders.
· Service and Fellowship:
Organize and provide opportunities for children and their families to fellowship and serve with one another and grow as a group as they mature socially. This may include:
o Community Events:
Help plan regular fellowship and service opportunities for children and families such as the Easter Egg Hunt, Trunk or Treat, Family Picnics, Pictures with Santa, serving meals to the homeless, and other such events
- Responsible for training and screening all volunteers who work with children and youth and assuring that the Child Protection Policy (Safe Sanctuaries) is implemented and followed at all times
- The Children and Youth Director will always have two adults present when working with youth.
- The Children and Youth Director will undergo a background check and will make sure all volunteers undergo a background check (paid for by the church).
- Responsible for the operation of the Church Nursery and related staffing for Sunday morning worship and other activities and events as needed
- Responsible for regular communication and advertising both within the church and to the larger community of various ministries and events related to children and youth ministries
- As needed, be prepared to fundraise for various activities and expenses related to the position
- Must be able to supervise and document funds collected for special events and provide timely documentation of expenses incurred.
· The Children and Youth Director will be the staff liaison to the Education Committee.
· The Children and Youth Director will attend all Staff and Ad Council meetings.
· Prior experience with children, education, youth and mission work
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret educational materials
· Computer literate
· Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems
· Insurable driver
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to many different ages and types of children, youth, and adults
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from parents, staff, or congregation
· Strong desire to be in ministry with those in the church and with those unfamiliar with the church, and an ability to connect the two
· Must be responsible enough to work autonomously.
OTHER DESIRABLE CHARACTERISTICS, TRAITS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must be a Christian and fully support the ministries of Applewood Valley UMC
- Must be able to work efficiently and effectively in team situations and be able to work independently
- Must have excellent time management skills
- Needs to be creative, have a passion for children and youth, have high energy, and be able to motivate others
This job is full-time and requires approximately 32 hours per week. The Children and Youth Director will have the flexibility to work beyond traditional office hours or from home, but will post office hours of availability at least one day a week in addition to Sundays.