Children & Youth Ministries Coordinator, Good Shepherd UMC, Colorado Springs, Colorado
October 18, 2016
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be a stable and nurturing Christian who has a passion for working with children ages 5 through 5th grade and youth in grades 6-12.
- Must possess a mature faith in Christ, maintain a life of discipleship, and demonstrate a solid model for a life focused on worship, discipleship, and service, calling children and youth to a similar focus in their lives
- Must demonstrate prior experience in working with children, youth and teens, either in a church, community, or other volunteer position
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and attend the Rocky Mountain Conference United Methodist Church ethics training at least once every four years
Specific Tasks -
- Must be dependable, consistent, organized, and have good leadership and communication skills for working with pastor(s), various committees, volunteers, parents, and youth leaders of other churches or organizations with which coordinated activities may take place
- Must support the values, vision, mission, and ministry direction of Good Shepherd United Methodist Church as set by church leadership
The children/youth ministries coordinator will:
1. Coordinate all volunteers for children and youth activities, communicating with children, youth, parents and the Good Shepherd family
2. Oversee curriculum, activities, and the volunteers for programs such as:
- Children’s Church
- Sunday School
- Vacation Bible School
- Specific annual events, such as Easter egg hunt, etc.
- Youth discipleship activities (Bible study and fellowship, for example)
- Outreach, service, and mission opportunities for children and/or youth
- Plan and coordinate youth attendance at sub-district, district, and/or conference events at least twice a year where and when appropriate
- Plan and coordinate with pastor worship service involvement for children and youth or a regular and specific day basis. (example: Confirmation Sunday)
3. Develop and maintain a children’s and youth activities calendar distributed at least quarterly to children and youth, church office, pastor(s), and any other (youth) group leaders with whom those activities are coordinated
4. Meet at least quarterly with clergy to review ministry goals and progress
5. Nurture one youth to represent youth on church council and/or other church committees such as Staff Parish Relations, Finance, Trustees as recommended by the Book of Discipline
6. Attend and participate in worship services and other events at Good Shepherd, encouraging children and youth to do the same
7. Provide monthly newsletter articles and website information about children’s and youth activities to the office manager
8. Ensure that permission slips for travel activities are provided to parents for completion and maintain a file with current information for use when traveling. Follow GSUMC insurance requirements regarding liability release statements
9. Attend church council meetings monthly and meetings of other church committees when appropriate
- The children/youth ministries coordinator is accountable to the staff-parish relations committee and the senior pastor. All positions in the church are also accountable to the annual church/charge conference through the church council.
- All issues related to employment, pay, leave time, and other personnel topics are under the purview of the staff-parish relations committee. Leave time is to be coordinated with and approved by the senior pastor.
- This is a part-time, paid staff position of approximately 20 hours per week average, with some weeks requiring more and some requiring less. Presence on Sunday mornings to attend worship and connect with children and youth, their parents, and congregation members is included in total weekly hours.
- This position is eligible for paid time off in accordance with the provisions in the employee handbook.
- When possible, the coordinator is expected to schedule others to lead activities during an absence.
Contact: Rev. Terilynn Russ
1201 Leta Drive Colorado Springs CO 80911