The Staff Accompanist should express passions for working with and developing lay leadership, for music education through a broad scope of musical styles and genres, and for collaborating with all creative disciplines. The individual should demonstrate proficiency in keyboard skills and vocal musicianship, strong management skills and creative artistic discernment. The Staff Accompanist will be a member of the Church's professional staff, reporting to the Director of Music. She/he should be available to work non-standard hours and will have teaching privileges at the church as long as he/she holds appropriate insurance and the lessons do not conflict with other activities of the church.
Job requirements include, but are not limited to:
• Providing piano accompaniment to the Adult Chancel Choir at weekly adult choir rehearsals (approximately 40 rehearsals per year)
• Assisting with service music in Sunday worship and other services throughout the year.
• The Staff Accompanist will also assume full responsibility for Sunday morning worship at all worship services when the Director of Music is absent. The frequency of these absences will be in consultation with the Director and Pastor.
• The Staff Accompanist will support special services as needed, including, but not limited to, up to 3 services on Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and additional services at Easter.
• On occasion, the Staff Accompanist may accompany musical groups such as vocal choirs, handbell choirs, or other ensembles or soloists.
• Assist with sectionals held during Adult Chancel Choir rehearsals.
• Perform other duties as necessary.
Desired Experience and Attributes:
• Good understanding of The United Methodist Church worship practices and liturgy.
• Experience as an accompanist.
• Ability to manage logistics of worship services including managing the timing of the service.
• Ability to read open score (desired, but not required)
• Conducting experience.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work in a team environment.
• Proven leadership and organizational skills.
• A high level of artistry and proficiency in playing piano
• Ability to read "at sight" is a necessity.
• Comfortable with an eclectic mix of musical styles (from Poulenc to Jazz. . ..)
• Reliable, punctual, and able to work collegially with others
• Excellent communication skills.
The Staff Accompanist will report to the Director of Music. The weekly time commitment will vary, but it is expected to be approximately 312 hours per year. Vacation Time: 4 weeks plus additional time during spring and fall off-seasons as determined by the Director of Music. Salary: $6240 less appropriate taxes and social security.
Most worship service finish around 11:00 am, but may last as late at 11:20.
Attendance for the entire worship service is expected.
Contact: Lori Schneider
Address: 1390 Brentwood St. Lakewood CO 80226
Email: Click to email