Choir Director - First UMC Pueblo, Pueblo, Colorado
August 19, 2016
Job Description: CHANCEL CHOIR DIRECTOR
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
310 W. 11th St.
Pueblo, CO 81003
- POSITION SUMMARY
- The function of the Chancel Choir is to support and enhance the worship services and other related functions, activities and programs.
- The Chancel Choir Director shall:
- Prepare the choir to support church services.
- Recruit new members for the choir.
- Make an active commitment to the Chancel Choir.
- Schedule for presentations will be coordinated by Chancel Choir Director, Bell Choir Director, Children’s Choir Director, Organist, and Pastor. Written schedule to be maintained by Chancel Choir Director with copies provided to the Pastor, Office Manager, and other Music Directors by the first of each month.
- Provide titles of Chancel Choir pieces to Office Manager each Thursday before noon.
II DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Chancel Choir Director will rehearse the Chancel Choir once a week for a minimum of one (1) hour, or longer when necessary.
- During June, July, and August the Chancel Choir will rehearse as needed to support the summer worship schedule.
- The Chancel Choir will sing every Sunday at 8:30am, and as needed at the 11:00am service, with appropriate adjustments for the summer worship schedule.
- The Chancel Choir will be available for special worship services, with four (4) weeks notice, when church schedules will allow.
- The Chancel Choir Director will have in the rehearsal folders, and actively rehearse, a number of anthems or musical pieces, for the ensuing four Sundays.
- Recruitment of new choir members is the responsibility of the Chancel Choir Director. This function shall be pursued on an active and timely basis.
- The Chancel Choir Director shall choose and present a wide variety of musical styles during the church year.
- The Chancel Choir Director will also coordinate the special music at the 8:30 am worship service.
- The Chancel Choir Director is responsible for keeping the music library in proper order and for having the music in good repair.
- All requests for music, and any other needs related to the choir that are within budgetary restraints, will be referred to the Pastor for review, and action, if approved.
I. The Chancel Choir Director will participate in occasional special music, solos and/or with groups.
- The Chancel Choir Director must possess, and use, basic management skills.
- The Chancel Choir Director is directly responsible to the Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee. Staff Parish Relations Committee will review performance of this position on an annual basis.
- The Chancel Choir Director will be evaluated every six (6) months until two (2) full years of satisfactory performance history is accumulated. If a satisfactory two (2) years evaluation is achieved, there will be a performance evaluation every year thereafter.
- The Evaluation Committee shall include a member of the Staff Parish Relations Committee, Worship Committee Chairman, and the Pastor.
- Compensation of the Chancel Choir Director will be an amount recommended by the Staff Parish Relations Committee, with final approval by the Church Council.
- This amount shall be reviewed on an annual basis.
- ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Chancel Choir Director will attend all paid staff meetings and worship committee meetings. If the Director is employed full-time, he/she must meet regularly with the Pastor at a day or time convenient to both.
- The Chancel Choir Director shall be an ex-officio member of the Worship Committee.
Contact: Kirsten Barlow
310 W. 11th Street Pueblo CO 81003