Church Operations Director - Park Hill United Methodist Church, Denver, Colorado
February 22, 2019
Position Description: This position is responsible for the overall administrative and operational functions of the church with an emphasis on the church office, management and use of the physical facilities, and the management of human resources.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: Works closely with the ministry team and lay leaders of the church, particularly committee chairs, and the staff, to ensure that facilities are soundly managed and used within the boundaries of the Building Use Policy under the direction of the Board of Trustees, leads and carries out the administrative functions of the church, and manages the church’s human relations needs.
Specific Job Activities:
General Administrative and Operational Leadership
- Coordinate the administrative functions of the church
- Work with ministry team, staff, and church members to coordinate work/projects
- Manage daily administrative office operations
- Oversee purchase of supplies, products and machines for the office
- Maintain the church calendar and schedule all facility users
- Manage church records and files
- Provide reports to and attend their committee meetings
- Develop and maintain positive, productive relationships with the ministry team, staff, congregation, vendors and all who participate in the life of the church community
- Cultivate and utilize the church database to enhance and understand the community's needs, skills, ideas
- Supervise other office staff
- Other duties as needed or as assigned by the Lead Pastor
Human Resource Management
- Supervise and assist in hiring of the custodial staff
- Schedule use of facility by groups and administer contracts
- Coordinate space and equipment usage for all parties using space and the setting up of it as needed
- Help recruit other users of the facilities
- Helps find innovative uses of church facilities
- Provide input and insight into the best use of facilities in conversation with other church leaders
- Determine rent and collect per protocol of Board of Trustees
- Contract with vendors for procurement of services, equipment and furnishings
- Maintain files of contracts
- Understand all systems supporting operation of the building; including (but not limited to) HVAC equipment, telephone, computer, electrical, plumbing and security systems.
- Responsible for keeping all systems operational by scheduling preventive maintenance and repairs
- Contract for snow and lawn services
- Maintain the records and make all burial arrangements for the Columbarium
- Manage the overall security of the church facilities
- Assist with planning major events
- Work with the Board of Trustees as needed to complete responsibilities.
- Conduct background checks for all new employees and maintain records in a secure place
- Conduct background checks for volunteers (as determined by their responsibilities) and maintain records in a secure place
- Conduct New Employee Orientation and verify all time sensitive paperwork is completed and in the employee’s personnel file
- Maintain personnel files on all employees, including change of pay, position, leave requests and termination paperwork
- Maintain all employee personnel files in a secure location
- Order Colorado Labor Law poster and post in an area accessible by all employees
- Verify time sheets have been reviewed and signed by the supervisor, prior to payroll processing
- Approve time off requests and maintain records.
- Workers Compensation – as needed, complete claim forms and provide to Work Comp carrier
- Work with the Staff Parish Relations Committee and Church Finance Director as needed to complete responsibilities
- Bachelor Degree
- Excellent management, administrative, and leadership skills.
- Work experience that supports the ability to hire, direct and manage employees, to interact skillfully with congregants and others, to manage a substantial facility with multiple users, attention to detail, ability to prioritize.
- Employee must be able to move about the building at various levels, operate a computer, copier and telephone, be able to communicate by computer and telephone.
- Experience in a professional leadership role at a church, not-for-profit entity or equivalent organization
- Park Hill United Methodist Church Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision and values of Park Hill UMC; can demonstrate those values to others; consistently behaves in a manner congruent with the mission, vision and values.
- Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships with all church professionals and volunteers who are relevant to the completion of work; works well with people at all levels of the organization; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable.
- Congregant Orientation: Demonstrates concern for and attends to the needs of the people who participate in the Park Hill UMC community; projects a sense of empathy and understanding when dealing with the community members; is able and willing to supply answers, resources and support.
- Process Management: Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration; can simplify complex processes.
- Supervising Work: Is good at establishing clear expectations and setting clear direction; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; provides regular and ongoing feedback about performance; proactively deals with substandard performance; engages disciplinary processes in a timely manner.
- Strategic Management: Is future-oriented and can visualize the larger picture of where the organization is heading; identifies and prioritizes strategic objectives that are consistent with the vision of the organization; creates effective action plans to carry out strategies; balances risk with desired outcomes.
This position reports directly to and is accountable to the Lead Pastor. This position requires a close working relationship with several lay leaders within the church, (including the Chair of the Finance Committee, the Treasurer, the Chair of the Trustees, and Staff Parish Relations Committee) as well as with the entire ministry team.
Pay commensurate with experience.
Contact: Nathan Adams
5209 Montview Blvd. Denver CO 80207