Church Treasurer and Administrator - Smoky Hill United Methodist Church, Centennial, Colorado
November 21, 2018
Smoky Hill United Methodist Church
Job Title: Treasurer and Administrator
I. Primary Responsibility
Summary Description: This position requires the recording of all cash receipts, making bank deposits, entering all contributions in books of original entry and periodic reporting, reconciling deposits to bank accounts, and liaison with church staff and other committees. The Senior Pastor will be responsible for overall supervision and periodic evaluations.
A. Weekly Duties
B. Monthly Duties
- Assist in the weekly offering count with the Sunday counters.
- Make weekly check bank deposits of offerings.
- Record weekly electronic contributions.ACA
- Reconcile check and electronic offerings to bank deposits.
- Report weekly contributions and documentation to Finance Committee Chair.
- Update online donation information, estimates of giving and any changes therein.
- Issue payments to all vendors and ensure all bank account information is up to date.
- Notify the signers when checks or other payments need to be authorized.
C. Quarterly Duties
- Report monthly contributions, attendance and comparison information/charts.
- Treasurer is expected to attend Finance Committee meetings monthly (currently on 3rd Wednesday 7:00 p.m.) to present the monthly giving report and provide any other pertinent giving information and serve as secretary of the meeting by recording and distributing Finance Committee minutes for each meeting.
- Prepare the financial statements for the preschool program.
- Manages the church database.
- Keeps the church calendar and serves as building use liaison.
- Ensure that all intern controls are followed on a monthly basis.
D. Yearly Duties
- Prepare individual member contribution quarterly statements with timely information on contribution to the general fund and other special offerings.
- Ensure that the authorized signers are the correct and everything is on file with the bank.
- Prepare and present your records for audit at the end of the year
- Prepare an annual report of yearly gifts and contributions for inclusion in annual report and presentation at the annual congregational meeting.
- Maintain a record of special gifts and send appropriate acknowledgments. (currently Memorial Committee does this)
- The Finance Associate shall work as required with the Senior Pastor, the Administrative Council and other lay staff in providing information for fund raising programs and special projects dealing with contributions of SHUMC members.
- Assist all of the committees preparing the annual department budgets.
- Demonstrates competence and leadership ability for church finances and administration.
- Prefers a Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Proficient with church management software. Servant Keeper a plus.
- Proficient with all Microsoft applications.
- Excellent Oral, Written, Communication and Relational Skills.
- Experience working with and supporting volunteers.
- Attention to Detail, Results oriented attitude, great communicator, and a heart for ministry.
- Since handling of both checks and cash will be a responsibility of the Treasurer, sound accounting and cash management practice shall be followed at all times by both the Treasurer and those under his/her direction.
- It is very important that anyone who has access to the contribution records of individual donors keep this information strictly confidential.
IV. Terms of Employment:
- Time of Service: The Treasurer is hired by the Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) and is supervised by the Sr. Pastor. The SHUMC Employee Handbook contains the procedures that guide this employment relationship.
- The Treasurer may serve as a backup counter on Sundays when one of the two designated counters enlisted are absent to perform the offering count or arrangements are made to count at another time.
- The Treasurer will sign and agree to the confidentiality clause found as Addendum A.
- The rate of pay will be based on experience. After the introduction period of three months this relationship will be reviewed. (See Employee Handbook)
- We will provide bonding through SHUMC’s insurance provider Church Mutual.
- Other support: We will support you with Christian love and prayers. The Financial Committee, Administrative Council and the Senior Pastor will help with guidance and advice. If any problems arise with other staff members or congregation members we encourage you to deal with them through the Senior Pastor and the Administrative Council.
This Confidentiality Clause dated as of, is between Smoky Hill United Methodist Church located at 19491 E Smoky Hill Road, Centennial, CO 80015 and ___________________________, an individual serving in the capacity of Treasurer.
- Term. This Clause applies to discussions between Individual and Smoky Hill United Methodist Church (SHUMC) related to the duties as Treasurer during the period of time beginning on the date set forth above and ending on the later of, December 31, unless otherwise earlier terminated.
- Acknowledgement. Individual understands and acknowledges that in his Position he will receive confidential information pertaining to the activities, operations and the business of SHUMC and/or financial and personal information of SHUMC members ("Confidential Information"). Individual further acknowledges that disclosure of such Confidential Information may be prejudicial to the SHUMC member and/or SHUMC.
- Confidentiality. Individual agrees to: not disclose or discuss Confidential Information with others not authorized to receive such; use reasonable means to protect and prevent the disclosure of Confidential Information, whether oral or written; and use the Confidential Information only in connection with the Church Business/Operations. Individual may disclose Confidential Information to those designated below and if uncertain Individual will disclose information only if authorization is obtained or directed to do so by SHUMC. Individual shall contact the Senior Pastor with any questions or concerns.
- Remedy. Upon any violation of this Clause by Individual, SHUMC may in its sole discretion remove such Individual immediately from said Position and prevent such Individual from serving on any other position at SHUMC that involves receipt of Confidential Information.
- In Witness Whereof, the parties have duly executed and delivered this Clause as of the date first set forth above.
Contact: Larry Jackson, SPRC Chair
19491 E. Smoky Hill Rd. Centennial CO 80015
Email: Click to email