May 31, 2019
The Mountain Sky Conference of The United Methodist Church is doing a national search for a full-time Coordinator of Young People’s Ministries and Camping Ministry. This position provides leadership for Young People’s Ministry in the Mountain Sky Conference, leading ministry innovation, experimentation, advocacy, and implementation; and guiding the Conference in building its capacity to be contextually relevant by empowering young people within our congregations and communities. This position can be based in Wyoming, Montana, Utah or Colorado.
Essential Responsibilities include:
As Coordinator of Young People’s Ministries
As Coordinator of Camping Ministry
- Develop transformational ministries with young people (ages 12-35+) by setting a vision for new ministries, evaluating and revitalizing existing ministries, and creating resources.
- Work with regional Young People’s Ministry Developers to carry out the vision.
- Develop and implement a holistic training program that empowers adults who work with youth to provide excellent local church leadership, consistent with United Methodist theology and structure.
- Assess existing events for young people and provide leadership for aligning these events with Conference priorities of leadership development and congregational vitality.
- Empower multiple ministry groups and committees through the Conference to expand their understanding and opportunities to engage young people.
- Create new and expand existing opportunities for young people to grow their leadership and advocacy within the Conference.
- Support Congregational Resource Ministers (CRMs) and church leaders in creating new and strengthening existing ministry opportunities for the congregations in the Conference to engage young people in their communities.
- Develop and manage a process for recruiting young people for leadership teams and active participation in the Mountain Sky Conference.
- Ensure the integration of Conference values of inclusion and safety in all ministries and resources.
- Communicate and publicize information in conjunction with the Conference Communications Team regarding Young People’s Ministry to appropriate audiences in a timely and appropriate fashion.
- Provide staff support to Conference Youth Leadership Team and Campus Ministry Team.
- Coordinate Conference-level visioning and programming for Camp and Retreat Ministry, with focus on faith development and leadership development.
- Supervise the Buckhorn Camp Site Director.
- Provide staff support to Conference Camping and Retreat-related committees or teams, including coordinating logistical details for meetings.
- Manage communications relating to Conference Camping and Retreat Ministry, including content of related pages on Conference website, social media, and submitting news items to the Communications staff for email distribution.
- Develop and implement strategies for advocating for Camping and Retreat Ministries among congregations and other bodies of the annual conference.
- Visit each camp/retreat site annually.
Required qualifications include:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience with youth, young adult, and/or campus ministry.
- Knowledge of and experience with camping and retreat ministries, ideally from a level of planning or management.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, coach, and resource other leaders.
- Ability to work concurrently on several projects and activities, setting priorities and accomplishing tasks in a timely and effective manner.
- A self-starter with experience implementing new ideas in a team setting.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office. Experience using design and/or video editing software a plus.
- Fluency in popular social media platforms a must. Basic knowledge of HTML and web development a plus.
- Ability to honor confidentiality and use discretion in performing tasks.
- Knowledge of and/or willingness to learn United Methodist and Mountain Sky Conference structure, theology, polity and mission.
- Adherence to the values of the Mountain Sky Conference of The United Methodist Church, including respect for diversity in its many forms.
- Recognized Christian character, leadership ability, personal competence and commitment to the Church’s ministry.
- Willingness to engage in a continuing program of personal and professional development.
Education or Formal Training:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Organizing, religious, or theological studies a plus.
- Minimum two years’ experience developing, leading, and/or creating resources for ministries relevant to this position. Three years of professional experience in youth or young adult ministries preferred.
- Experience working within – or helping to create – a church culture that respects diversity in its many forms. Previous experience in leadership and management of program redevelopment, including budgeting, a plus.
- Complete an online application.
- On the online application, submit a cover letter, 3 letters of recommendation (1 from a direct supervisor), and 2 examples of leadership development initiatives/programs which you designed and directed, including measurable outcomes and how they were accomplished.
- Suitable candidates will be required to complete a background check.
No mailed materials will be accepted. Only complete online applications, with all materials uploaded, will be accepted. Applications will be received and considered on a rolling basis.
The mission of the Mountain Sky Conference of The United Methodist Church is to live into God’s grace and abundance as we lead a re-energized peaceful and compassionate movement to claim the life-changing love of Jesus Christ for ALL people.