Custodian - University Park UMC, Denver, Colorado
November 09, 2017
OVERALL PURPOSE: The custodian position is a church staff position that provides care, cleaning, logistical support, light maintenance and security for the buildings, facilities and grounds of the University Park United Methodist Church of Denver (UPark). UPark was formed in 1894, and is a member of the Rocky Mountain Conference United Methodist Church located in the South Metropolitan District. As a six day a week church, and with approximately 300 members active, UPark serves a total of approximately 600 members and/or families in the University Park/University Town communities and beyond. Therefore, the Custodian for University Park UMC – Denver will ensure excellent logistical coordination, readiness and preparedness of the buildings, facilities and grounds for all worships, special events, meetings and activities on a daily and weekly basis.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The custodian is a church staff person that reports directly to the Senior Pastor. In this position, the custodian will clean, prepare, coordinate logistics and secure the facilities in accordance with the calendar, vision, mission, goals, policies and procedures of University Park UMC - Denver and UPark’s Evanston Center for Spiritual Wholeness and Healing. An annual performance review will be conducted by the Senior Pastor; and comments provided by the Staff/Parish Relations Committee may be included in the evaluation.
QUALIFICATIONS: The following are the minimum requirements for this position:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- A high school diploma and proficiency in English.
- One-year experience in janitorial, custodial or cleaning services, facilities care, and security; and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment, products, techniques and standards. Skills in using cleaning products and equipment.
- Good interpersonal, communication, conflict resolution, and teamwork skills. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must hold to the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, respect and integrity as a member of the staff; and protecting the sanctity of the facilities and confidential information.
- Must be self-motivated and willing to take initiative.
- Must have the ability to adapt to changing priorities and workloads are essential.
- The ability to organize a wide range of duties and meet deadlines are necessary.
- Proficiency in logistics, and customer service; openness to working in an intercultural setting.
- Must be able to work some major holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, etc.
- Background check and drug test required.
- Additional languages are helpful, but not required.
– The duties and responsibilities of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Cleans and prepares the Main Sanctuary and Wasser Chapel for weekly and special services such as worship, weddings, funerals, memorials, inurnments, etc.
- Cleans, sets-up and prepares class/meeting rooms for daily and weekly meetings, events and activities. Moves furniture, equipment, table and chairs as needed for classes/trainings, meetings, events and activities.
- Clean all bathrooms and kitchens as needed or as requested; fills dispensers and stocks with paper towels and toilet tissue.
- Vacuums, spot cleans, an/or shampoos rugs, carpets, and furniture using commercial-type vacuum clean and shampooing equipment.
- Dusts and/or polishes furniture, blinds and equipment on a regular basis.
- Sweeps, mops, polishes, and strips floors in rooms and halls on a regular schedule.
- Cleans all stairways, light fixtures and windows on a regular basis. Replace light bulbs as needed.
- Secures the buildings and facilities by locking and unlocking doors and arming alarms as needed. Serves as the contact person for security systems.
- Enforce parking policies and procedures and ensure appropriate parking in the parking lot
- Initiates work orders for minor and major repairs/maintenance according to policies and procedures set by Trustees Committee and the Senior Pastor.
- Order and stock appropriate areas with supplies according to policies and procedures.
- Shovel and remove snow and ice from designated areas such as sidewalks, entryways, and roofs as required and dictated by weather and building use.
- General clean-up and maintenance of outside areas such as courtyard and lawn such as paper and dog waste removal.
- Promptly respond to work emails as requested and required, particularly pertaining to general upkeep, maintenance, security system issues, and addressing any security issues with building users, etc
- Coordinate and organize supply orders with custodians to ensure the Evanston Center provides welcoming environment and experience for tenants and visitors.
- Establish a regular schedule for all regular duties and responsibilities
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
: A normal work week consists of 20-30 hours; Sunday – Thursday and Saturday, with 1 hour (not paid) for lunch each day. Actual days/hours will be determined by the Senior Pastor; and may be adjusted at any time with the Senior Pastor’s approval. The Custodian may be asked to attend weekly staff meetings on Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. when needed, and may be asked to attend 1) annual staff retreats and program year planning sessions 2) senior staff or leadership trainings as scheduled and/or 3) annual charge conferences and church celebrations.
$21,000 - $25,000
: As a full-time position, benefits are outlined in the Personnel Policy of Lay Employees of UPUMC. Be aware that the church cannot offer life insurance, major medical insurance, or short- or long-term disability.
Contact: Jessica Carmer
2180 S University Blvd Denver CO 80210
Email: Click to email