January 16, 2018
Director of Preschool
Salary Level Department Manager ($40,000 per annum, Depending on Experience)
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Director of Preschool at Lakewood United Methodist Preschool will provide leadership, oversight, and direction of the preschool program. The director will be a collaborative, hands-on leader who partners with parents and teachers to create a meaningful learning environment for children. This position ensures compliance requirements are met, adheres to program guidelines, and develops, manages and monitors special topic programs.
The Director will continue the commitment to the core values which are:
- Play-based: An emphasis is placed on experiential learning, and working diligently to provide a nurturing environment that supports social growth and independent thinking.
- Parent-Cooperative: Parent involvement contributes to Lakewood United Methodist Preschool’s community and to our strength as a school.
- Transition-Oriented: Developing and leading a program designed to meet the meet the unique needs of 5 year olds. Children gain foundational skills, including social and emotional skills that will support kindergarten learning. Although, this transition is not kindergarten but a bridge to the formal school experience
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Plan and implement vision, mission, preschool goals, educational goals and objectives and oversee curriculum development in conjunction with Lakewood United Methodist Preschool Parent Council.
- Operate and maintain the program in accordance with the Colorado Department of Health and Human Services and Lakewood UMC requirements.
- Closely supervise the day-to-day operation of the program (staff, children, parents, visitors, and facility).
- Manage all enrollment in the school including admission paperwork, communication, follow up, marketing and general information to parents.
- Participate in classroom activities with each class weekly (i.e. music and storytelling).
- Develop multi-year plan to meet mission and goals in conjunction with the Parent Council.
- Prepare policy handbooks for distribution to staff and parents.
- Communicate through different media to parents and community.
- Work with budget committee to establish overall annual program budget which will include salary and fee structure. Obtain approval from Parent Council.
- Collect monthly program fees and prepare weekly deposits.
- Prepare monthly payroll of staff and submit to church financial director.
- Coordinate all program purchases.
- Responsible for annual departmental budget in excess of $200,000.
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise all staff members.
- Plan and implement staff development; maintain training records.
- Conduct weekly staff meetings, seminars and/or workshops.
- Maintain personnel files on all staff members.
- Conduct staff evaluations as needed with formal evaluations not less than annually.
- Report to the lead pastor of Lakewood United Methodist Church.
- Learning Orientation.
- Organizational Skills.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Strong fiscal and budget knowledge.
The position supervises and provides direction to the staff engaged in the teaching and educational duties.
This job operates in a classroom environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands to finger, handle or feel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
Some flexibility of hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and must work 37.5 hours each week to maintain full-time status. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. School operating hours are 8:45 a.m. – 1:00 pm, Monday – Friday and follows the Jefferson County District calendar with time off in the summer.
Limited out-of-area travel may be required for special events or continuing education.
Required Education and Experience
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must have a letter of verification from the State of Colorado Office of Child Care Services exhibiting Director Qualifications.
- Experience developing and growing a childhood education program with responsibility for management and administration of such programming, including curriculum development and demonstrated advanced knowledge of childhood education essentials and standards.
- The ability to lead, motivate and manage staff
- Possess strong fiscal and budget knowledge, preferably in a not-for-profit environment.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Degree in Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education or closely related field preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Will complete the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) immunization course training within 30 days of employment.
- Will complete standard precautions training within 30 days of employment.
- Will complete child abuse prevention and reporting training within 30 days of employment.
- Will complete a minimum of 15 clock-hours of verified in-service, workshop or conference training per year.
- Any applicant shall have a criminal background check completed before being hired and may be subject to any subsequent checks during the term of employment
LUMP (Lakewood United Methodist Preschool) does not discriminate in its business activities on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, marital status or parental status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or disability.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.