Minister of Music - First UMC, Casper, Wyoming
July 11, 2017
Job Description: Music Director(s) at First United Methodist Church – Casper, Wyoming
The First United Methodist Church is seeking an energetic, creative, and talented individual(s) to direct and expand the music program.
First United Methodist Church - Casper is located in the heart of downtown Casper, Wyoming, a vibrant community of approximately 75,000, one of Wyoming’s two largest cities. First UMC- Casper is a 950+ member church in central Wyoming.
The candidate(s) should demonstrate a talent for ministry, leadership, an ability to teach, recruit, and inspire laypersons of all ages and skill levels.
A 15-voice Chancel Choir sings at the traditional liturgical service at 11:00 a.m., while a smaller vocal ensemble sings at the 8:30 a.m. “blended” service. A third Sunday service at 6:00 p.m. features a contemporary praise band, which presently has its own coordinator. A bell choir plays once per month, and has its own director.
FUMC-Casper values a strong tradition of music excellence, anchored by a beautiful Casavant Frères Limitée 3-manual, mechanical action pipe organ – one of the finest in the area – designed and constructed specifically for our sanctuary in 1977. See http://fumccasper.com/history/
- Bachelors in Music or equivalent training and experience.
- Experience in choral conducting.
- Knowledge of sacred music from classical to contemporary.
- A spirit of collaboration with the pastoral team and staff members.
- The ability to select from a variety of sacred musical genres that inspire and enhance worship.
- The ability to teach people with varying degrees of musical knowledge.
- The desire and ability to build on an established tradition of music excellence in the church.
- The desire and ability to participate fully in the life of a growing church.
- A personal, growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Skilled in playing the piano and/or organ.
- Skilled as an accompanist to lead congregational singing, choir, and soloists as necessary.
- Oversee Music Ministry by collaborating with the Pastoral Team and staff to guide the worship experience for three regular services and work with the director of the bell choir and the praise team.
- Direct and rehearse the adult choir, children’s and/or youth choir; and direct or co-direct a praise team.
- Provide and perform music for additional services and offerings outside of the regular church service times, including 3-4 Christmas Eve services.
- Select and purchase music for worship (anthems, preludes, and postludes) and for all church musical groups.
- Secure additional instrumentalists for Easter, pre-Christmas services, and others as appropriate.
- Be available for weddings and funerals (additional compensation is provided for these services).
- Secure substitute musicians as necessary.
- This is a 1/2 time to full-time position, 25-40 hours/week. The salary range is $25,000.00 to $40,000.00, commensurate with education, experience, scope of talents, and hours of service.
- Vacation and benefits are negotiable.
- If qualified, additional employment opportunities may be possible through the NASM-accredited music department at Casper College
On or about September 1, 2017
, or as soon as suitable candidate(s) may be found.
Submit resume, letter of interest and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff Parish Relations Chairperson
The Reverend Brian Oliver
302 East Second Street
Casper, Wyoming 82601
Contact: Kenneth Marken, SPR Chairperson or Rev. Brian Oliver, Senior Pastor
332 E. Second Street Casper WY 82601
Email: Click to email