Organist - Mountain View UMC, Boulder Colorado
August 12, 2017
Mountain View United Methodist Church
355 Ponca Place, Boulder, CO 80303
Job Description for Organist Position
The Organist supports the faith of the congregation through the ministry of music. An understanding of the faith statements of the church and an ability to select and perform music, which supports those statements, is required. Our organ is a Reuter pipe organ.
This is a part-time position, 10 – 12 hours per week. Salary range is $9,000 - $12,000, which is negotiable depending upon experience and education. Extra compensation is available for weddings and funerals. Use of church instruments and facilities is available for student instruction and for concerts and recitals.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Leading congregational hymn singing during worship services on organ. Ability to improvise, transpose, and used varied registrations and textures with hymns.
- Play preludes, postludes, and offertories for worship services, using music from the large repertoire of sacred, classical music for organ.
- Accompany vocal and instrumental soloists and ensembles in worship as needed.
- The organist is not required to accompany weekly rehearsals and performances throughout the year with the Chancel Choir, but will occasionally do so at the discretion of the Director of Music.
- Participate in extra services, such as Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, Easter, and Christmas services.
- Participate in expanded music worship services, such as Mountain View Sings, Music Heritage Sunday, and others.
- Work in close cooperation with the Director of Music and Pastors in providing leadership and planning for worship and music in the church.
- Contact and work with the organ technician for tuning and maintenance of the organ.
- Previous experience as a church musician is required.
- A music degree is preferred.
- Ability to work well with other music staff members.
- Strong communication skills.
Candidates should submit an application letter, resume, two references, and a recording of several worship suitable pieces for organ (no more than 15 minutes) to Director of Music, Steven Burchard at firstname.lastname@example.org
. A live audition will be required for job finalists. Organ specifications are available upon request. For further info, contact Steven at 303-726-9630.
Contact: Steven Burchard, Director of Music
355 Ponca Place Boulder CO 80303