Pianist/Accompanist - Mountain View United Church, Aurora, Colorado
August 18, 2017
Mountain View United Church (MVUC), 10700 E. Evans Ave., Aurora, Colorado 80014
$100 per service (3 services a month)
Introduction: Mountain View United Church is an open and inclusive, progressive, ecumenical church established by the United Church of Christ, the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A, and The United Methodist Church. Weekly attendance averages about 35 members and the choir has 6-8 singers. A grand piano is provided in the sanctuary. “The United Methodist Hymnal” and its appendix, “The Faith We Sing”, are used in the services.
JOB TITLE: Pianist/Accompanist
JOB SUMMARY: The Pianist/Accompanist supports the faith of the congregation through the ministry of music. An understanding of the faith statements of the church and an ability to select and perform music, which supports those statements, is required. Pianist/Accompanist will provide music support and accompaniment for three Sunday worship services per month, Thursday evening choir rehearsals (September – May) and special services as required.
SUPERVISION: Direct supervision and performance reviews by the Pastor.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the congregation in worship through music during worship services, including the prelude, offertory, postlude, service music, hymns, and choir and soloist accompaniment.
- Sunday worship begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends approximately 11:00 a.m. The Pianist/Accompanist should arrive no later than 9:40 a.m. and ready to play at 9:45 on Sundays when there is no choir rehearsal.
- Accompany the choir at rehearsals Thursday evening for 1.5 hours (Sept. through May) and before worship service for 30 minutes on the Sundays the choir is singing.
- Provide appropriate music for special services upon request and as scheduling allows. Special services include, but are not limited to Christmas Eve, Ecumenical Sunday (in February), Holy Week, and Easter.
- Work in close cooperation with the Volunteer Choir Director, Pastors, and all church staff in providing leadership and planning for worship and music in the church. The pastor will select hymns for the Sunday services and perhaps suggest other music to go along with the theme of the service.
- The Pianist/accompanist will select music for prelude, offertory, and postlude, and provide this information to the church secretary for inclusion in the Sunday bulletin no later than 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday before.
- Inform the Pastor when the piano needs repair or tuning. Work with church secretary to schedule repair appointment and work with the piano technician for tuning and maintenance of the piano.
- Evaluate music library and recommend music acquisitions as needed to the Volunteer Choir Director.
- The Pianist/Accompanist will be given first option to play for all weddings, funerals and memorial services scheduled at Mountain View United Church. (Additional payments are made directly to Pianist/Accompanist by those involved.) Only the Pastor and Pianist/Accompanist may allow someone other than Mountain View’s Pianist/Accompanist to play for any of the above services.
- Use of church piano and facilities is available for student instruction and for concerts and recitals, worship, and other programs.
- Medium to Advanced training in music and piano is preferred
- Previous experience as a church musician is preferred
- Ability to communicate, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisory staff, other employees, and the public.
- Ability to sight-read is required. Ability to improvise, transpose, and used varied registrations and textures with hymns is preferred.
- Responsible to the Pastor and works closely with the Volunteer Choir Director.
- $100 per weekly worship service.
- Position and compensation will be reviewed on an annual basis.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Four (4) Sundays or Thursday rehearsals per year.
- If Pianist/Accompanists is going to be absent for Sunday service, a notification must be made to the Pastor and Volunteer Choir Director as soon as it is known so that arrangements can be made for a substitute.
- Pianist will play only on the first three Sundays of each month.
- The Pianist/Accompanist position is a Contract Employee with Mountain View United Church for such period as the working relationship is mutually agreeable to Mountain View and the Pianist/Accompanist.
- This position is given an annual performance review conducted by the Pastor.
- The evaluation with be sent to the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC). The Pianist/Accompanist will contact the Chair of the SPRC for concerns about the evaluation.
- The pianist will be assigned a liaison from SPRC as part of the evaluation process.
- Will be a period of three (3) months. At the end of this period, a performance evaluation will be made by the Pastor and a recommendation made to the Staff Parish Relations Committee/Church Council to continue or to terminate the position.
Job Type: Part-time
- Two (2) weeks written notice will be required if the Pianist/Accompanist wishes to leave this position.
- Two (2) weeks written notice will also be given by the Pastor if this position is terminated.
$100 per weekly worship service/special service; $50 per special service where accompanying the choir is needed (Ecumenical Sunday)
Please submit an application letter, resume, two references, and a recording of worship-suitable pieces for piano no longer than 5 minutes to email@example.com.
A live audition will be required for job finalists. For further info, contact Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10700 E Evans Ave Aurora CO 80014
Email: Click to email
Attached file(s): view file