Site Manager - Circle J United Methodist Camp, Ten Sleep, WY
December 04, 2019
Job Title: Site Manager, Circle J United Methodist Camp and Retreat Center
Reports to: Circle J Board of Directors
Classification: On-site, full-time between about April 1 through Oct. 31. Compensation set annually by Board of Directors. Year-round housing is provided, if needed, with electricity, heat, water and local telephone service paid by Circle J.
This position oversees Circle J United Methodist Camp and Retreat Center and works to carry out the mission of Camp and Retreat Ministry of the Mountain Sky Conference at Circle J. In this effort, the Manager oversees the safety and quality of all Circle J facilities, operations, and programs according to accreditation bodies; local, state and federal guidelines and standards; and the mission and goals of the Mountain Sky Conference, and Circle J Camp. This position provides guidance and supervision to staff and volunteers at Circle J as well as ensuring a safe environment and hospitality to campers and retreat groups.
- Serve as primary contact for individuals and groups interested in using Circle J.
- Respond to camper and guest group needs with radical Christian hospitality.
- Provide information about camp and retreat resources and opportunities to assist group leaders in decision-making, planning and scheduling of activities and facilities. Prepares and distributes a newsletter via email and postal service on Circle J activities and happenings periodically.
- Works with a member of the Board of Directors to book retreats and oversees the needs of repeat groups, keeping them updated on new activities and pricing.
- Seek out relevant opportunities for volunteer groups to actively participate in Circle J’s ministry.
- Supervises and organizes management and maintenance of facilities, including property development and maintenance needs to ensure stewardship of current resources and identification of future needs.
- Provides for general administrative and reporting needs. Prepares a monthly report to the Board detailing camp activities and expenditures from petty cash fund, including receipts. Monthly report should also include detailed list of income and donations received, including donor’s name, amount donated and designation of donation. Expenditures greater than $250.00 require prior Board approval. Brings to the Board’s attention items that need repaired or replaced.
- Supervises grounds keeper responsible for (a) irrigation of the grass on the grounds. This involves checking all the pumps on the grounds weekly as outlined in the guidelines for grounds keeping at Circle J. (see attached); (b) mowing, and weed eating the lawn as outlined in the guidelines for grounds keeping at Circle J. (see attached); (c) orchard pruning, and spraying as outlined in the guidelines for grounds keeping at Circle J. (see attached); (d) harvest and sale of fruit; (e) general clean-up of grounds as needed including special clean-up days.
- Administer complete housekeeping responsibilities to ensure clean and safe lodging, meeting and facility space.
- Ensure that health and safety standards are being met according to health department regulations.
- Regulatory Compliance
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal health and safety requirements, including working with a member of the Board of Directors to meet EPA required water testing.
- Ensure compliance with relevant Camping and United Methodist association requirements.
- Ensure compliance with United Methodist Safe Sanctuary policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Circle J staff and volunteers
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Commitment to and knowledge of Christianity.
- Passion for connectional camp and retreat ministry.
c.A self-starter with demonstrated competency in team building, networking with leaders and congregations, visioning and motivating groups of persons in ministry.
- Good organizational, people and communication skills with the ability to use those skills to coordinate and motivate volunteers and to effectively work with multiple constituencies in person and virtually.
e.Professional and patient, with a strong orientation towards customer service and responsiveness.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, clients and guests.
- Ability to identify and anticipate work needs and proactively take steps to accomplish tasks.
- Well organized and able to manage multiple priorities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and database software.
- Sensitive to and respectful of personal situations, and ability to honor confidentiality and use discretion in performing tasks.
- At least 21 years of age.
- Education or Formal Training:
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred. In some cases, equivalent work experience will be considered.
- Certification in first aid.
- Experience in camp management or retreat ministry with demonstrated management and program growth is preferred. Other related work experience will be considered.
- Experience working within a ministry culture that respects diversity in its many forms.
Remote outdoor camp facility.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to communicate clearly with constituents.
- Ability to walk up and down hills on uneven ground.
All employees of Circle J Camp are “at will” employees. This means that the Board of Directors has the right to terminate a staff member’s employment at any time, with or without cause, or for any or no reason whatsoever. The employee has the same right. If the employee chooses to terminate his/her employment with the Board, a minimum of 30 days’ notice of such termination is requested.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Contact: Alex Ogg
Ten Sleep WY
Email: Click to email