February 07, 2019
The newly-formed Mountain Sky Conference of The United Methodist Church — serving 460,000 square miles of the Western Plains and Rockies in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and one congregation in Idaho — and their resident Bishop Karen Oliveto, is announcing a national search for the position of Superintendent of Congregational and Community Vitality.
This position directs the plans and resources for cultivating vital congregations and other faith communities, from planting new churches to renewing and transforming existing congregations.
Through innovation, research, development, and dissemination of learnings, the Superintendent of Congregational and Community Vitality will:
- Increase the capacity for entrepreneurialism and experimentation in the area;
- Increase the number of successful new churches, new faith communities, and new places for new people;
- Increase the number of existing local churches seen as vital; and
- Continually advocate for disciple making as the primary function of local congregation.
Essential responsibilities will include:
- Cultivating, developing and recruiting church start and entrepreneurial faith leaders;
- Staff supervision;
- Team leadership and curriculum development;
- Fund development;
- Supporting existing faith communities in assessing community needs and renewing ministry for greater missional effectiveness;
- Collaborating with various ethnic and multicultural communities; and
- Service on the cabinet.
Required experience and qualifications include:
- A master’s degree or equivalent;
- Alignment with the Mountain Sky Conference values of creating the Beloved Community of Christ through diversity, inclusivity, collaboration, and social justice;
- Starting and growing a new ministry, project or company; developing systems that promote and support multiplication and growth;
- Developing ethnic/multicultural ministry;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading leaders and coalition building;
- Proven effectiveness in working consultatively with bishops, district superintendents, and conference staff (or equivalent); and
- Facilitating and/or coaching high performing teams.
- Ordination or lay leadership in The United Methodist Church is preferred, but not required.
- Complete an online application.
- On the online application, submit a cover letter, 3 letters of recommendation (1 from a direct supervisor), and 2 examples of initiatives/programs in which you started and grew a community, built a team, or resourced an entrepreneurial vision to actualization.
- Suitable candidates will be required to complete a background check.
No mailed materials will be accepted. Applications will be received and considered on a rolling basis.
The mission of the Mountain Sky Conference of The United Methodist Church is to live into God’s grace and abundance as we lead a re-energized peaceful and compassionate movement to claim the life-changing love of Jesus Christ for ALL people.