March 29, 2019
The newly-formed Mountain Sky Conference of The United Methodist Church — serving 460,000 square miles of the Western Plains and Rockies in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and one congregation in Idaho — and their resident Bishop Karen Oliveto, is announcing a national search for the cabinet-level position of Superintendent of Leadership Development/Director of Connectional Ministries. Laity or clergy leaders are invited to apply.
This position serves as the primary staff and resource person for the Mountain Sky Conference Leadership Development area and oversees the operation and accomplishment of the ministry and mission of the conference, while also connecting the conference with the general church.
Through innovation, research, development, cultivation of feedback, and dissemination of learnings, the Superintendent of Leadership Development/Director of Connectional Ministries will
Essential responsibilities will include:
- Increase the cultivation of laity and clergy leadership for the focus areas of the conference which include local churches, vibrant communities, and new places for new people;
- Increase and link external leadership development resources with the needs of districts and local churches to accomplish goals of deepening discipleship in new contexts and in new times;
- Create measurable goals and outcomes for indicating growth and development of individuals in their effective leadership.
Required experience and qualifications include:
- Serve as the Superintendent of Leadership Development, including work with Circuit Elders, Congregational Resource Ministers, Board of Laity, Board of Ordained Ministry, and staff of Young Peoples’ Ministry (Youth, Young Adults, Campus Ministry)
- Serve as Director of Connectional Ministries of record with respective general church teams and groups
- Serve on the Executive Leadership Team (Appointive Cabinet, designated staff and conference lay leaders).
- Participate in the Mountain Sky Roundtable and designated Conference boards and agencies
- Coordinate work of MSC staff and ministry teams to align with the missional goals and objectives of the conference.
- In collaboration with the members of the Bishop's Roundtable, organize the work of the MSC so that meetings are scheduled in a coordinated matter, communication of work is done effectively, and ensure teams are productive and focused on the vision, mission and goals of MSC
- Represent MSC at appropriate General Church and Western Jurisdiction meetings
- Serve as primary staff responsible for organizing annual conference, coordinating the efforts of appropriate staff and volunteers for the meeting.
- Assist Bishop as directed
- Serve as the spokesperson for the conference when needed
- A master’s degree or equivalent;
- Alignment with the Mountain Sky Conference values of creating the Beloved Community of Christ through diversity, inclusivity, collaboration, and social justice;
- Starting and growing a leadership development programs, projects or company; developing systems that promote and support multiplication and personal/professional growth;
- Developing leaders from and for ethnic/multicultural communities;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading leaders and coalition building;
- Proven effectiveness in working consultatively with bishops, district superintendents, and conference staff (or equivalent); and
- Facilitating and/or coaching high performing teams.
- Ordination or lay leadership in The United Methodist Church is preferred, but not required.
- Complete an online application.
- On the online application, submit a cover letter, 3 letters of recommendation (1 from a direct supervisor), and 2 examples of leadership development initiatives/programs which you designed and directed, including measurable outcomes and how they were accomplished.
- Suitable candidates will be required to complete a background check.
No mailed materials will be accepted. Only complete online applications, with all materials uploaded, will be accepted. Applications will be received and considered on a rolling basis.
The mission of the Mountain Sky Conference of The United Methodist Church is to live into God’s grace and abundance as we lead a re-energized peaceful and compassionate movement to claim the life-changing love of Jesus Christ for ALL people.