Youth Director - First United Methodist Church, Durango, Colorado
September 12, 2018
PURPOSE: The Youth Director’s purpose is to provide leadership within the youth ministries of First UMC with the goal of our middle school and high school youth becoming devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- A heart for God and a passion for working with youth, parents, and adult youth leaders.
- Strong organizational, verbal and written skills and attention to detail.
- Leadership focused and committed to team ministry.
- Ability to build relationships and community within the church body.
- Ability to organize & attend overnight youth events including retreats, camps, mission trips & other youth events throughout the year.
- Ability to recruit and develop adults in order that they might engage in youth ministry in a leadership role.
- Possess bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Have minimum of 2 years’ experience leading in youth ministry preferred.
- Lifelong learner who will attend continuing education events.
- Must pass a background check and psychological profile testing.
Directly to the Ministry Program Director
Indirectly to the Directional Team and Lead Pastor
Approximately 40 hours
Full-time, lay, exempt
Set annually by the Directional Team
As described in the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual for Lay Employees
- Participate in a Staff Accountability Group.
- Participate in the Teaching Team through monthly planning meetings and sharing preaching/teaching duties at FUMC occasionally throughout the year.
- Develop a Lead Team that can provide leadership and development of MAPs (Ministry Action Plans) for teams within the youth ministry of the church.
- Regularly implement RAD (Reflect, Adjust, Do) process with the Lead Team as a means of progressive development within the youth ministry.
- Develop and support a team leadership structure within the youth ministry to ensure quality leadership within each area of the ministry (Leadership Team, Middle School Youth Group, Middle School Sunday School, High School Youth Group, Confirmation, youth Bible studies, small groups, service projects, mission trips, retreats, special events, bus drivers for youth group and other events, cooking team, etc.)
- Organize and lead an effective and exciting ministry geared for teens that implements FUMC’s mission of Building Community, Changing Lives & Bringing Hope for the youth in the Durango community.
- Provide clear, accurate and timely communication to all students, parents and leaders to keep them informed and to encourage their participation and involvement.
- Develop older high school students and encourage them to take on leadership roles within the youth ministry and the church.
- Meet up with students one-on-one, or in smaller groups, outside of scheduled youth events to provide encouragement and support.
- Work with the Director of Children and Family Ministries to develop a discipleship plan that flows from infancy to graduation from youth group, paying careful attention to the transition from grade school to middle school.
- Serve as secondary Administrator for Safe Gatherings Training and Background Checks for staff and volunteers that work with children, youth and/or vulnerable adults.
- Oversee youth check-in and attendance for all youth events for students in 6th-12th grade in Simple Church Database.
- Contact new youth families within one week of them attending worship for the first time to welcome them and invite them to get more connected within the youth ministry.
- Develop and oversee yearly budget for the youth ministry, manage student fees for youth events in a timely and responsible manner, and ensure proper documentation is being kept up to date in a secure online file.
- Attend and participate in monthly All Staff meetings and Program Ministry Breakouts as scheduled.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed to.
Please apply by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
by Oct. 15
Contact: Jake Forsythe
2917 Aspen Drive Durango CO 81301
Email: Click to email