August 03, 2018
Job Title: Superintendent of Congregational and Community Vitality
Reports to: Resident Bishop
Staff Team: Congregational Vitality & Community Engagement
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Date: August 2018
This position directs the plans and resources for cultivating vital congregations and other faith communities, from planting new churches to renewing and transforming existing congregations. Through innovation, research, development, and dissemination of learnings, the Superintendent of Congregational and Community Vitality will:
- Increase the capacity for entrepreneurialism and experimentation in the area;
- Increase the number of successful new churches, new faith communities, and new places for new people;
- Increase the number of existing local churches seen as vital; and
- Continually advocate for disciple making as the primary function of local congregation.
This position also oversees the work of the Congregational Vitality and Community Engagement staff team, which works to equip local churches to learn about, engage with, collaborate with, partner with, and advocate on behalf of people and faith-based justice issues that lead the church and global community toward fuller expression of Beloved Community.
- Develop and refine processes for supporting the creation of New Churches, New Faith Communities, and New Places for New People (see attached).
- Find best leaders for new faith communities or partner congregations. Consult with the bishop, district superintendents, Committee on Congregational Development, Board of Ordained Ministry and circuit leaders to identify new ministry opportunities based on passions and giftedness of leaders to plant and multiply.
- Recruit potential new ministry planters.
- Oversee the discernment process for new church planters.
- Equip those leaders and congregations for effectiveness. This might include, but is not limited to, training experiences, coaching, mentoring, etc.
- Build a network of clergy and laity with special gifts to aid in the development of faith communities to meet goals. Ensure this network provides consultation and on-site presence to mentor and resource.
- Develop financial resources for new faith communities and transformation.
- Develop and implement strategies for expanding financial resources for new ministry development and church renewal.
- Give leadership to fund development for new ministry development.
- Celebrate effective new ministry and share transferable lessons.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to multiply what’s working or intervene to prevent prolonged stagnation of ministry.
- Customize planting or development strategy to meet desired vision and outcomes for ministry and ensure all stakeholders (district superintendent, planter, planting team, senior pastor, etc.) are engaged and clear in shared desired outcomes.
- Resource each district in the formation of new faith communities and congregational development. This may include targeted training opportunities at the School for Congregational Development.
- Develop and refine processes for connecting local congregations to the resources and mentors they need to be vital and fruitful.
- Work with circuit leaders, Congregational Development Team, district superintendents and bishop in identifying and assessing churches ready for change, and possible new cooperative/shared ministry development.
- Identify and train appropriate leaders for revitalizing congregations.
- Assist existing faith communities in assessing demographic and sociological data to inform efforts to more fully engage their mission fields.
- Support existing faith communities to identify models of and strategies for renewal, including the birthing of new faith communities.
- Assist in defining strategic planning and programs of evangelism tied to local church need.
- Cultivate teams and resources to address the vital church priorities of:
- Intentional discipleship
- Invitational evangelism
- Missional engagement
- Worship excellence
- Simple and effective local church governance
- Stewardship and finance
- Cultivating call
- Help stakeholders of planting or transformation projects evaluate and learn from mistakes or missteps.
- Provide research and support in ongoing strategic planning and development efforts.
- Access and assess demographic and sociological data using MissionInsite and persons on the ground.
- Collaborate with the various ethnic and multicultural communities of the Mountain Sky Conference for the formation of faith communities and congregational development within and among their respective communities.
- Convene and facilitate the Congregational Vitality Committee.
- Direct the work of the Whole Church Initiative.
- Manage budget for Congregational Vitality and Community Engagement.
- Identify models of and strategies for new ministry development in consultation with appropriate ethnic, generational and cultural stakeholders,. Actively consult with United Methodist Racial/Ethnic National Plans to work with leadership in reaching more people.
- Seek increased competence through continuing education, consultation with acknowledged experts, and participation in church professional organizations related to the goals and responsibilities of this ministry position.
- Maintain open communication with Congregational Resource Ministers to learn of emerging needs in the districts and share information about resources available, needed, or under development.
- Convene and facilitate Congregational Vitality and Community Engagement staff team meetings.
- Participate in Executive Leadership Team meetings.
- Director of Community and Congregational Engagement
- Hispanic Ministries Developer
- Worship Resources Developer
- Vital Missions Coordinator
- Administrative Assistant
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Faith in Jesus Christ; understanding of oneself as a disciple who is growing deeper in love of God and neighbor. Ability to articulate and live out one’s faith and growth.
- Support for the global mission of the United Methodist Church.
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communication and interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrated ability to provide team leadership, to work cooperatively as a team member, and to work independently.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as web-based conferencing platforms, such as Zoom, etc.
- Ability to efficiently organize, establish priorities, attend to details, and meet deadlines.
Education or Formal Training:
- Master’s degree or equivalent.
- Starting and growing a new ministry, project or company.
- Developing systems that promote and support multiplication and growth.
- Developing ethnic/multicultural ministry.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading leaders or networks of leaders; coalition-building.
- Proven effectiveness in working consultatively with bishops, district superintendents, and conference staff (or equivalent).
- Facilitating and/or coaching high performing teams.
Must be able to travel between the four states that make up the Mountain Sky Conference, with occasional travel elsewhere. Total travel approximately 25-30%.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required; it would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.