Sierra Service Project, or SSP, provides service opportunities during the summer and school year for middle and high school youth groups. SSP is:
- Challenging service. Youth take on complex projects, learn to safely use power tools, and cultivate teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Fun! The SSP experience includes a tradition of games, songs, and lasting friendships.
- Safe & Dependable. SSP has 40 years of youth service, leadership, and home repair knowledge, is dedicated to physical and emotional safety, and provides nutritious meals and spiritual support to all volunteers.
- Intercultural engagement. Working with others to strengthen communities different from their own allows youth to experience new cultures in an authentic way.
- Community-based, transformative service learning experience.
During the 2015 summer, SSP hosted 1,757 volunteers. They worked together to complete 94 projects which included replacing 9 failing roofs, constructing 10 brand new wheelchair ramps, and painting 17 homes. The United Methodist Church was well-represented with 115 churches sending nearly 1,400 of those volunteers!
Duane Buys is the Director of Christian Education at University Park United Methodist Church in Denver, Colorado. He has been organizing and leading service trips to SSP for several years and is currently serving on Sierra Service Project’s Board of Directors. The best thing about SSP for him, a youth leader, is that “Sierra Service Project totally coordinates our projects from the moment we arrive at the site.” And it’s not just how much planning is taken care of by the SSP staff, but Buys says that even, “the youth at my church are passionate about being a part of SSP every summer.”
SSP is committed to providing safe, accessible, and affordable programs for youth to deepen their relationships with God and others through service. SSP trips cover housing, meals, construction training, spiritual development, fellowship and more. We also offer scholarships to groups and individuals who may not otherwise be able to attend.
Groups of all sizes can enroll, and no group is too small. Those interested, including individual youth, may register where space is available. Call 916-488-6441 or click today
for more information!
Sierra Service Project is an independent, interdenominational Christian 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides equal opportunity for everyone to experience God's grace through service. SSP believes in offering the invitation to service and relationship freely, without expectation. SSP is open and affirming, and welcomes anyone who is interested in participating in its programs.