Follow the Pilgrimage to the Land of Love

Cañon City First UMC celebrates 150th year of ministry

February 08, 2016
A Proclamation Issued by the County Commissioners Of Fremont County, Colorado, Declaring 2016 as a  Year of Celebration for the Cañon City First United Methodist Church and its 150th Year  of  Ministry

Whereas, the Cañon City First United Methodist Church is celebrating its 150th anniversary;  and
 
Whereas, the Cañon City First United Methodist Church had its beginnings in 1860, when Warren Fowler came to town and, finding no church, went door to door inviting people to attend a worship service in an unfinished log cabin arid handing out Bibles; and
 
Whereas, the Cañon City First United Methodist Church formally was established by Pastor George Murray and dedicated in 1866, becoming the first permanently-established house of worship in Colorado south of Denver; and
 
Whereas, the Cañon City First United Methodist Church was established between Second and Third Streets on Main Street in what was known as "The Old Stone Church"; and
 
Whereas, the Cañon City First United Methodist Church then relocated to the corner of Fifth and Main Streets in the Gothic Church from 1879 to 1899;   and
 
Whereas, the Cañon City First United Methodist Church moved to its current location in 1899 at the corner of Eighth and Main streets, where it remains an active and vital presence as Cañon City's Main Street church;
 
Now Therefore, Be It Resolved that the Fremont County Board of County Commissioners hereby proclaims this year, 2016, as a Year of Celebration for the Cañon City First United Methodist Church and its 150th Year of Ministry in Fremont  County.
 
Be It Further Resolved that a copy of this Proclamation be sent to the Cañon City First United Methodist Church.